Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Holidays are nearly over...

Have had a series of forgetful moments over the last week. Went specially to buy some fennel and left it in the shop. Had to go all the way back again. Sigh. And the funny thing is there was something else I was going to mention but I have forgotten what it was. Double sigh.

My kitchen has been the world centre for choko pickle making this week. We finally found a source for the chokoes, our butcher, as honestly we didn't want to buy them. I think the days of everyone having a choko vine over the back shed and chook yard are long gone. But anyway, M has made so many jars of pickles that we ran out of jars and have been scouring the neighbourhood for more.

Also he pulled out the tomato plant that has run rampart through my garden this summer and ended up with two big bowls of green cherry tomatoes so of course he made green
tomato pickles as well.

Today the butcher gave me another big bag of chokos. Honestly, will this never end. I now have a pickle display in my beautiful dresser in the dining room. He did it while I was away on the weekend otherwise it would never have got past by the board. Haven't got the heart to move them (he is so proud) and besides where would I put them all.

Cleaned out my plastic container cupboard the other day. It happened because I wanted to make pesto out of the abundance of basil that I had (first time ever). Because it is so heavy and M wasn't home I couldn't lift the food processor down, tried to use the little one but of course it is far too little to use so used the blender. Big mistake - the bottom was on so tightly that my poor old hands couldn't undo it so I spent a very very long time trying to get all the pesto out of the bottom of the blender.

I decided that perhaps I could downsize the plastic container cupboard (which used to be called the Tupperware cupboard but who can afford Tupperware these days), move some containers up to where the food processor was living and move the food processor down to a lower cupboard which is more accessible. I now have 3 boxes full of plastic containers destined for either J's kitchen, work because all the ones I bought for there have disappeared or LifeLine. Also at the moment the cupboard is super organised which makes me feel I have achieved something.

Went to trivia on Friday night and ate of all things, fish and chips. Why I didn't go with grilled fish and salad or even the thai beef salad still amazes me. On Saturday morning before I flew out to the Gold Coast I was in a very bad way. I even packed some Imodium in my purse because I didn't think I was going to be able to make the trip without multiple toilet stops. Luckily everything settled down more or less so was able to make the flight and travelled relatively okay.

To call our trip a flying visit is an understatement. We left Sydney at 1:10 pm Saturday and eventually returned at after 8 on Sunday evening and then had the long journey home. Lots of miles done.

Sadly Queensland didn't bless us with sunny weather just great company. We were up at 5:30 on Sunday morning, on the road to Kirra by 7 for the race briefing at 7:30 then J was bussed around to Rainbow Bay for the start of her 2km swim back to Kirra. It was raining when we left Main Beach but fined up along the way and I thought that we might be lucky as I had a 3 hours wait for her to return. But no it rained and I couldn't really move from my spot because a gentleman had asked me to mind his bag for him and I didn't want to disappear with his bag or leave it unguarded. So I ended up standing under the umbrella that was over my little table as sitting was not an option in the rain. The highlight of the morning was the arrival of the lovely Linda. Now I met Linda, firstly through her blog and then at a bloggers lunch in either 2005 or 2006 in Sydney at Chinta Ria at Darling Harbour and we have managed to stay in touch ever since.

First let me say that this lady is awesome. She looks wonderful. She drove all the way down to Kirra to chat in really cr*ppy weather. I wanted pictures but by 10 a.m. I looked and felt like a drowned rat and we both agreed that being photographed is something that neither of us likes very much.

And it was like we did this every week. I thought that I might not recognise her because it had been so long but I had no problem. She showed me how the Runkeeper app works and it is definitely something I will look into. I love charts and stats. Talking to Linda was so easy. I worried about J when she got out of the water because she can be slightly difficult (to put it mildly) sometimes but taking into account she had just swam 2kms, got kicked in the face, someone had grabbed her leg and pulled her backwards at one stage, got smashed by the waves coming into Kirra she became almost human when she went and changed and sorted herself out. I don't really mean this in a bad way, she is just this fiery little red hair kitten - all spit and hiss sometimes.

Went and had coffee and then had to say goodbye and back to Main Beach for lunch. Then we eventually headed off to the airport and after many delays arrived back in Sydney. I wouldn't let J drive me home from her place as it would have added another hour or more to her trip so I stayed on the train. She positioned me next to the guards compartment with strict instructions not to speak to strangers and if there was a problem to alert the guard. I felt like I
was twelve. I also had to ring her when M picked me up from the station and if I didn't, if I forgot to ring her and let her know I was safe, she would ring me every two hours for the rest of the night as punishment. I made it home and to bed by 11:30 pm and I remembered to ring her.

Yesterday we packed a picnic and Lucy and went up to the Hunter for the day.

Lucy ready for her big adventure!

View from terrace

I made salads and bought a cooked chook and we ate it with a couple of glasses of white wine while sitting on our friend's terrace looking out over tothe ranges. Lucy had a ball running around the vineyard and slept very soundly all the way home.

It was so lovely and relaxing and very hard to get moving again but we had family baked dinner night. I had to ring and ask the children to put the vegetables on as we didn't get home until after 6 when we had told G we would be home at 4. Oh well, this is probably karma for all the times they are late for dinner. I think we have been classed as irresponsible parents now.

Today is rainy. I thought I had to go to the dentist but it was next week. Just have to go and put the grocery shopping away and then I am going to put my feet up.

Was going to rearrange furniture so that I can install (just plugging in to the gas outlet) the new gas heater I bought but honestly don't think I have the energy.

Oh I forgot, went to see "The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel" movie last Wednesday night. M came with me and you could have knocked me over with a feather when he offered to take me. I have known him for over 40 years and he still has the power to surprise me. But we both enjoyed it. A lovely gentle movie with a wonderful cast.

Am doing my best to stick to wheat free (aside from fish and chip debacle) and to keep dairy free too. On the whole it seems to have settled down things that have been giving me trouble for a while. Am slowly reintroducing "normal" foods to my diet and losing the diet ones. I realise that small amounts of fat especially the good fats and oils, are not going to hurt me. Have managed to bring my consumption of fruit down to a normal level and am not having the munchies anymore. One problem is that I am leaving the gap between meals too long sometimes and I end up feeling slightly sick and off my game. I have so much reading to do about this subject but I will get there.
The winemaker also gave me the name of a naturopath to contact. She is in Byron Bay but maybe able to recommend someone down here or apparently she is thinking about relocating to Sydney.

Have a great week everyone and enjoy yourselves.


  1. You certainly have had a busy time lately. I just loved talking to you and J - I was also worried in case I didn't recognise you it's been so long since we actually saw eac other !!!! But it was all good and I had a lovely morning despite the weather.

    Have a great week and I hope that you are able to find a natuopath close by - I can really recommend them if you find the right one.

    Love, hugs and positive energy !

  2. Hello Julie - I've never read your blog before but am really impressed with your lifestyle changes!! (esp getting rid of WW online).

    Keep up the wheatfree/sugar free life and you will feel better. I know I am way healthier for it!