Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Confession of an Oprah addict

I am going to confess my dark secret - I simply adore watching Oprah - not all her shows (I find some silly especially when she interviews "stars") but I love the fact that she gives so much joy (as well as material possessions) to ordinary people.

And I'm not the only one - I've seen the other woman at the gym when one of her programs is being shown. Their eyes are rivetted as they are exercising and at various times we make eye contact with each other and go aha.

Unfortunately I usually have to go to work when her show is on. Believe me I have tried taping it but just dont have time of an evening to watch it, along with all the other shows that I tape because I cant watch them when they are actually screening.

Sometimes I actually look forward to be ill so that I can catch up with her. She is an intelligent interview showing compassion and sympathy or asking the hard or awkward question in such a way that it doesn't seem offensive or sensational. She doesn't judge and she doesnt get her jollies by putting people down (wish my son would learn that lesson).

Her charity, the Angel Network, has raised an incredible amount for charity.

I love her friendship with Gail (did I spell that right). Those two are not afraid to tell each other exactly like it is and that's how friends should be - as she said today on her show, someone has to feel comfortable enough to tell you your hairdo is bad, you need to lose weight etc. (Stedman actually told her that the Tina Turner wig she was sporting at one time may not be a good idea.)

I subscribe to her magazine and I always find it interesting. It is something I look forward to every month (along with WW mag and Notebook).

She is an ordinary person who has risen to an extraordinary position in the public arena. I am continually inspired by her. I love her warmth and kindness. There are a lot of people who dont have time for her but I'm not one. I feel blessed that there are people like Oprah in this sometimes sad, tired world. She uses the power she has gained for good and her fame to highlight the problems are others who are not so lucky.

There endth todays rant.
Back to normal tomorrow.
:o)

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, I'm an Oprah addict too. I love getting on my exercise bike while watching her. Thanks for your comment on my blog, it is a new photo too :-) I'm on the fly but I will come back and catch up on your blog during the week. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, another Oprah addict here too! She is truly a woman whos inspires. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete